Volunteer Sign-up for Haul Out 2023
Volunteers needed for "Haul Out" day in the morning. Please let us know if you are available to assist with any of the positions listed below. The Yard Chair or delegate will contact you to confirm your assignment.
Time & Location
Oct 28, 6:30 a.m. – 2:00 p.m.
74 Lighthouse Rd, 74 Lighthouse Rd, St. Catharines, ON L2N 7P5, Canada
HAUL OUT POSITIONS:
Haul Out Officer: Has masterlist of boats, lift order, and volunteer assignments. Relays order of lift progression to Dock Marshall. Stationed in the general crane area
Haul Out Safety: Has masterlist of boats, lift order, and volunteer assignments. Oversees safe practices and movement of volunteers in the lifting area. Stationed in the general crane area.
Dock Marshall: Has masterlist of boats, lift order. Ensures that boats are moving from their docks at appropriate intervals. Stationed by A dock gate.
Support Boat Operator: Operates the support boat to transport volunteers across to pick up their boat. Acts as a support person to temporarily relieve the Haul out Lead, Safety, or Dock Marshall as required.
Equipment required for above positions: PFD, Hard Hat, clipboard, pen/pencil, portable VHF radio
Boat lift lead: Directs the sling placement and lifting operation at the water. Must have crane signal experience to relay to Crane signalman
- Dock line/Tag line, 2 positions: Holds boat in place through sling set-up and transitions tag lines to Landing Crew
- Sling positioner, 4 positions: Receives 1 side of the sling, works with sling team to position slings and level the boat
- Substitute Sling positioner/line person: Provides relief as needed for the Dockside Crew, ties 1 side of sling keeper lines.
- Boat Owner: Brings boat to dock, identifies sling position labels to Dockside crew, ties 1 side of sling keeper lines.
Equipment required for the above positions: PFD, Work gloves, hard hat
Positioning Lead: Directs the travel of the boat onto the appropriate cradle/position in conjunction with the crane signalman. Confers with owner on boat placement within the cradle, directs boat to resting position
- Tag line, 2 positions: Receives the tagline from the Dockside Crew. Controls the motion of the boat in air and onto cradle, as directed by Positioning Lead.
- Landing positioner, 6 positions: Assists with minor adjustments to cradle position, keeps pads in proper orientation to receive boat, may direct keel to proper landing position. 2 individuals ascend the boat to remove the slings.
- Boat Owner: Observes, may assist in guiding to proper landing position, defers to the Positioning Lead.
Equipment required for the abouv positions: Work gloves, hard hat
Power Washing, 8 positions: Working in teams of 2, the power washers will be operated by pairs for efficiency and regular rest periods. The teams will wash down bottoms in the order the boats come out, keeping 2 boats behind the lift cycle so as to not be spraying water in the vicinity of the landing crew.
Equipment required for the above position: Work gloves, hard hat, Safty glasses optional: foul weather gear.
Please sign up yourself and each person that will be present from your boat/crew for 2 or more of the above positions. We will take into consideration your preferences when assigning positions, but must take into account the requirements of the operation. For a successful lift we must all work together.
Haul out is an all day event. It is expected that members be present for the entire day, from first lift at 7:30am to last lift, which could be as late as 6:30pm, and the post lift cleanup. Keep in mind the hours of organization that your fellow members have put in, to plan and prepare the yards, all to ensure a smooth and safe operation for everyone. Please give them the courtesy of your support, with full day participation and adherence to safety recommendations.