top of page

Our Story

From 1829 to 1932 Port Dalhousie was the entrance to the first three Welland Canals. In 1932 the fourth Welland Canal opened with a new entrance three miles east at Port Weller and a transformation began as the beach and the harbour focused on recreation. Power boaters and sailors wanted facilities to launch and moor their boats and saw the opportunity, as property and water rights became available for lease.


In 1936, preliminary plans were put together by a small group of local businessmen, and on January 8, 1937 the first meeting to create the Dalhousie Yacht Club was held at the St. Catharines, YMCA. After leasing land and water rights the first priority was a crane followed by a 20 x 20 shack (AKA Club House) built on stilts as the lake level was unpredictable. Those were the depression years and it was the members who did all the work. Dues were $5 a year and many boats were constructed by their owners. Camaraderie was the order of the day and the term Work Party was taken literally; members worked together for the common cause, and then they partied.


After WW II members felt the need to formally incorporate and Provincial Letters Patent were granted on March 1, 1945. Members began a building fund and in 1950 a new clubhouse (20 x 60) with an open veranda was constructed at a cost of $8,000. Members finished the interior over the winter months with donated materials including the fireplace, which was constructed with materials left over from the “Mills Memorial” being constructed at Victoria Lawn Cemetery.


In 1955 the lounge area was added; renovations and improvements to the facilities continued to mark progress. As east side operations such as the rail terminal and rail line (which previously took passengers to Niagara Falls) ceased operating the land became available and DYC expanded the leased area. Boats originally moored on the west side requiring dingys and the west side docks became the next major project. Negotiations with the city over the location of the harbour walkway, and a proposal to become part of the outer harbour Marina, which was rejected by a majority vote, occupy much of the clubs files.


2012 was the 75th Anniversary for DYC. The Club is member controlled and remains to be a tribute to the founders.

our FLAG:
Leigh Brown
Patti-jo Chambers
James Desjardins

DYC Past Commodores

  • Frank Cornelius (1937-1943)

  • Howard Gutteridge  (1944)

  • Jack Gibson (1945)

  • William Gutteridge  (1946)

  • Garnet Stouck (1947-1950)

  • Fraser Klager (1951-1954)

  • Charles Wright (1955)

  • Fraser Klager (1956)

  • Fraser Thompson   (1957)

  • Fraser Klager (1958-1959)

  • Vernon May  (1960-1961)

  • Colin Johnston (1962-1963)

  • Garnet Stouck (1964)

  • Larry Locke (1965-1966)

  • Keith Walker (1967-1968)

  • Eric Holmes (1969-1970)

  • Victor Scull (1971-1972)

  • Chet Pryzbek (1973-1974)

  • Philip Whitehead   (1975-1976)

  • Len Baggott (1977-1978)

  • Neil McFayden (1979-1980)

  • Joe Barlow  (1981-1982 )

  • Norm Houghton  (1983-1984)

  • Syd McBrain  (1985-1986)

  • Tom Moss  (1987-1988)

  • Denny McQuilkin  (1989)

  • Richard Baker  (1990-1991)

  • Gordon Andrew  (1992-1993)

  • Mel Holenski  (1994-1995)

  • John Krall  (1996-1997)

  • Bjorn Christensen  (1998-1999)

  • Ted Chamberlain  (2000-2001)

  • John Dickhout  (2002-2003)

  • Eric Allan  (2004-2005)

  • D’Arcy Cashmore  (2006-2007)

  • John Krall  (2008-2009)

  • Chris McLaughlin  (2010-2011)

  • Barbara McMullen  (2012-2013)

  • Jim White  (2014-2015)

  • Paul Haynes  (2016-2017)

  • Simon Krall  (2018-2019)

  • Richard Nowina (2020-21)

  • Len Holloway (2022)


Since elections and thus board changes occur in October, the listed dates reflect the years in which the major part of the term was served.

bottom of page